The first Soviet war victims at Stalag 326 were buried at the municipal Catholic St. Achatius Cemetery (Stukenbrock-Senne). Only several weeks afterwards, the camp cemetery was constructed on the camp site in the vicinity (today Cemetery of Honor of Soviet war victims).
During the time of 1941 until the liberation of the war prisoners (2 April 1945) a total of 36 mass grave rows were built. Each row is 110 meters long.
After the liberation a small group of survivors set up an obelisk. In addition, they created and installed 36 commemorative stones with inscriptions. One commemorative stone has been placed at the beginning of each mass grave row.
The fence around the cemetery was also built by the liberated war prisoners. The former rails of the light railway leading from the Hövelhofer train station into the camp were used as metal carriers for the former wood paneling.
At the beginning of the 1960s, the Cemetery of Honor was redesigned as park-like cemetery complex receving the current appearance.
The obelisk, the 36 commemorative stones and the fence are cleaned and restored at regular intervals.
The publication “Der Ehrenfriedhof sowjetischer Kriegstoter in Stukenbrock-Senne” (the Cemetery of Honor of Soviet war victims in Stukenbrock-Senne) by Oliver Nickel includes further information. Sold out at the moment, unfortunately. Next year a revised new edition is to be published.
Please give us notice in case you are interested. We will contact you as soon as the new edition will be available.
Via email to: email@example.com
Senner Straße 28
33758 Schloß Holte-Stukenbrock
The Cemetery of Honor of Soviet war victims is situated in Stukenbrock-Senne, part of the village of Schloß Holte-Stukenbrock
When exitingtrain station Hövelhof please take the bus 426.
From train station Schloß Holte-Stukenbrock take the bus 84.1
As a change in departure times is possible, search www.bahn.de for departure and arrival times.
Bus stop Forellkrug
This stop is approx. 500 metres away from the Cemetery of Honor of Soviet war victims.
It requires a 10 minute walk on foot. The cemetery is accessible at any time of the day.